Well, well, I am typing this exciting post live from my new home, the 4th floor of LSUHSC-Shreveport. At my dr’s. appt. yesterday, everything with the tater tots was great; however my cervix had shortened to a point that Dr. Groome was not comfortable with. So he asked/ordered me to spend some time on strict bed rest in the hospital in the hopes of preventing any further shortening. It looks like I will be here for a minimum of a week and then we will re-check; however, there is always the possibility that this is a one way ticket until the boys make their grand appearance. And while I hate being here, I am willing to do whatever it takes to delay this delivery as long as possible (someone remind me I said that if I get stuck here long term).
A few people have asked me when it will be safe to deliver these babies; as with so many things in a multiple pregnancy, the answer is it depends. 24 weeks gestation is the edge of viability for the babies; however, we would like to keep cooking much longer than that. The goal we have set for the pregnancy is somewhere between 32-34 weeks; that is best case scenario. However, there may come a time when either my health deteriorates or the babies are in distress and they need to be taken earlier. I will be delivering by a mandatory c-section and then the boys will be in the capable hands of the LSU NICU staff.
But at this time, I have a selfish request; and that is to please send your thoughts for my health and more importantly, my sanity 🙂 As usual, the staff and our friends here at LSU are taking excellent care of me although I am still trying to figure out how I am going to gain the weight my dr. wants on this food. And also, please keep Ross in your thoughts and prayers as he is picking up a lot of the burden of me being away from home. We appreciate everyone’s care and concern so much at this trying time; of course we are concerned for me and the babies, but for now our spirits are high.
Much love, R