The last few days have been a little more eventful, but for the most part things are still going beautifully. We got the results of the cranial scans and Rowan and Finn’s were completely “unremarkable” meaning they were all clear. Elliott showed up with a grade 2 IVH or in layman’s terms a very small spot of bleeding on the left ventricle of the brain. We are remaining positive and upbeat about this and are hopeful it will continue to downgrade and resolve over the next week; he will have his scan repeated every Monday until it is fully resolved. Rowan and Finn will have their scans repeated at 4 weeks of age just to ensure that nothing new has developed.
Also as expected, all of the boys are now at full feeds and Rowan and Finn have had all IV fluids discontinued and no longer have any IV lines or sites at all. Eli is also at full feeds and they are running just enough fluids to keep his one umbilical line open; they fluctuate back and forth about pulling his one remaining line or leaving it in for a few more days.
When we went to see the boys this morning, Susan, Eli’s nurse, told us he had been having lots of spells during his feeds and that they were going to run some labwork and blood cultures to ensure that he didn’t have an infection. Rowan and Finn were rocking along just fine and Ross and I also held Rowan for a while. He was wide awake for most of it and we got to spend some good time chatting. The time spent holding the boys does more for my recovery than anything else; it really does feel like the rest of the world falls away once they put those little boys in your arms.
After Ross and I had made it back to the house, I received a call from Eli’s doctor in the NICU asking for consent to do a lumbar puncture; some of his lab work came back high and showing an infection so they want to get some more information on what we are up against. They have already started him on some antibiotics and will adjust accordingly based on his lab results. I ask for prayers that this is just a small bump in the road and will pass in a flash; please keep little Eli in your mind and also me and Ross as we continue to work our way through this stressful time.
As for me, my infection is still hanging around but the team at LSU is really trying to hold off on any aggressive actions such as re-opening the incision or making a new one. I will continue to follow up with Dr. Barrow until we can reach a resolution. And in other big news, Ross officially started his residency training today; he will have orientation all next week and then he will be unleashed on the unsuspecting public! His first rotation will be the labor unit which we have had all to much experience with. So as ya’ll can see, things are quite busy at our household, but for the most part we are hanging in pretty good. A huge thanks to everyone for their continued thoughts and prayers; they are extremely comforting during this tough time.
Lots of love, Renita