Well Elliott is showing off his stubborn streak and not following directions very well. After leaving the hospital last night we got a phone call late saying he was having a lot of apnea spells (not breathing well) and they were going to do a blood transfusion and a workup for sepsis (infection). A few hours later we got another phone call from the NICU saying that he had to go back on the ventilator 😦 and that his labs showed definite signs of infection.
So for the moment we are waiting on results from his blood cultures and his esophageal aspirate (cultures from secretions in his lungs) to see exactly what we are up against. It is difficult at the moment because he looks a little rough. He is pretty lethargic and you can just tell he doesn’t feel well at all. So for now all we know is that we are septic; he is also off all of his feeds to give his belly a chance to rest. So I askfor the praying folks to say an extra one tonight for him; specifically that his body will fight hard and that he doesn’t spend long on the ventilator. And if there are any extra prayers, please throw me and dad in there also as we feel pulled in a lot of directions at the moment.